Friday, August 15, 2008

Freddie the Freeloader

As I reflected on what I could share with you this week I realised what a cheapskate I am (as if you all didn't know that already.) I think that living in a small town and on a small budget make me even more of a freeloader than normal. At any rate, if you live in Utah County and are looking for something cheap to do with your kids read to the end of the post for some ideas. Mind you, if you have ever actually spent money on your kids, they might not enjoy my ideas =o)

This week we headed up to Thanksgiving Point to meet up with one of my old college roomies and her little boy. We, of course, went on $2 Tuesday. Every Tuesday in August admission to the Dino museum, Farm Country, and the Gardens is only $2. The plan was to go to the Dinosaur museum, but by the time we got there, the line was clear around the side of the building. We went to Farm Country, instead. My kids have been there a few times before, but they still love to go ride the ponies. Yes, it was 1.5 hour wait in the sun to take the 3 minute pony ride, but I guess that's what I get for going on $2 Tuesday. Oh well. It was still really nice to see Ariana, and we all got tans.

Today's cheap-o venture involved much less waiting. Hyrum's mom works for Central Bank and it was customer appreciation day. In our defense, we ARE customers at Central Bank. So, the kids and I met Dad at the Bank for lunch where we had free hot dogs, chips and pop. The kids were then heavily loaded down with free frisbees, beach balls, water bottles, flashlights, and balloons.

Maybe I'd better put some of it away for Christmas =o).

Okay - here are the free to cheap things that I like to do with my kids. Mind you, I'm pretty lucky to have kids that enjoy museums and what not. I apologize if you already know about all of these. If you have more, please share them with me!
1. Monte L. Bean Museum (on BYU campus, right next to the Marriot Center) - this is sort of a life science museum. For an extra bonus, take a buck or two per kid - they have lots of little cheap stuff in the gift shop.
2. Earth Science Museum (just west of the BYU football stadium on University Parkway). This is a very small self-guided museum all about Dinosaurs and geology. They have a little window where you can view the students excavating Dinosaur bones. Like I said, it's very small, but sometimes it is just right for short attention spans.
3. Peteetneet Acadamy (in Payson). This is a really cool museum, if your kids have enough of an attention span to look at old artifacts. They even have a room set up like an old school house. In the winter, they have a great sledding hill.
4. Cabellas (Lehi) Yes, this is a giant sporting store, but they have a great big walk-through aquarium, and lots of "stuffed animals" to look at =o) including a mountain with all sorts of deer, bears, etc. If you take a few quarters your kids can feed the fish. If you take a couple of bucks, they can play at the shooting gallery on the 2nd floor.
5. Take a picnic and some moldy bread to either Salem Pond or the Botany Pond at BYU. Feed the ducks. Be careful at Salem Pond - I hear that they are feisty.
6. $2 Tuesdays in August at Thanksgiving point. I don't highly recommend this one if you dislike crowds. But...
7. Farm Country at Thanksgiving point, and I think the Childrens' Garden, which has a fountain that they can play in, is only $3.50 every day. Check your "Utah County Adventure Passport" for 2 for 1 admission. 2 and under are free.
8. Picnic in the park
9. Trip to the library (don't forget they have movies, too!)
10. Play place at the mall (this is mostly for winters). Call first, the ones near me were closed for remodeling all winter. They should be open again now.
Anyway, that's all that I've got for now. I hope that somebody can benefit from this. If not, that was a lot of typing for nothing! =o) that's okay, though.

No comments: