I haven't posted in awhile, and while I am tempted to bore you all with my stories of chasing Hyrum's dog (she isn't mine when she runs away) all over the neighborhood, I think I'll share something positive, instead =o)
I don't know that I share many stories about my oldest son, Ben, but he is one amazing kid. He just blows my socks off sometimes. Yes, much of his time is spent running around the house with a crazed look in his eye and his tongue flapping out of his mouth, or terrorizing his younger brother and sister; but once you get past the hyper five year old layer, he is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. Benjamin is gentle, empathetic, selfless, and kind. "I think you did a GREAT job, mom!" Are often his words when I am apologizing for good intentions gone wrong. His shy, "Mama, you look beautiful," has often made me feel like a supermodel in my pajamas and bedhead hairdo. Every time he brings home treats from school or church, no matter how small it is, there is always some for Hannah and some for Bry. He, then, will ask "Mom, which one do you want" when I tell him to enjoy his treat for himself it's always "No! I want you to have some. PLEASE?!"
I have recently added a few more favorites to my Benjamin gallery. On Thanksgiving Hyrum broke out the video camera and asked everyone to share a couple of things that they were thankful for. Much to Ben's dismay, Hyrum started with Grandma Ruby instead of him, but he did get to be second in line. "I am thankful for my family and for the Gospel," was his solemn report. He got such a good reaction from the adults on this one that each of his siblings and cousins then followed with the exact same answer =o).
A few weeks ago Grandma Ruby's (for those of you who don't know, Grandma Ruby is Hyrum's Grandma) brother passed away. When we were visiting Grandma the following day, she got a little choked up while describing her brother's passing. Benjamin made his way across the room, gently placed his arms around her and told her "It's okay, Grandma. Someday, your brother will be resurrected, and be with you forever. Then, he will never die again."
Ben returned to the subject of the resurrection last night when we were driving in the van. The conversation started with him asking about my mom.
"Did your mother do drugs?"
"No, sweetheart, my mother never did drugs. She was a very good woman."
"Oh, well, was she sick then?"
I went on to explain, again, about my mom dying of cancer. I explained, in 5 year old terms, what cancer was, and that, even though I was sad that my mom died so quickly, I was glad that she hadn't been sick for long.
Ben reminded me again that I would see my mother in the resurrection. "She won't have any more cancer. No one will be sick. No one will have to wear glasses or anything! And you know what's really good, mom? Everyone will get along. Even the people will get along with all the animals and even the people will get along with all the people. That will be SO Awesome!"
When did my wide eyed little baby that I used to rock to sleep...with those big curls and that cute little chuckle turn into a little man?
Ben, I'm so blessed to have you to remind me that there is nothing in this big old world that is too important to be solved by what you little heart understands. I love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What a sweet boy! I hope Preston turns out to be a sensitive guy like that.
You must be an awesome mom to have such a sweet son!
He is awesome! Oh! And we should totally hang out!
Post a Comment